Thousands of clubwomen and their guests have visited GFWCís International Headquarters at 1734 N Street, NW, in Washington, D.C. since it was purchased by GFWC clubwomen in 1922, under the leadership of GFWC International President Alice Ames Winter (1920-1924). Located in the historic Dupont Circle neighborhood, 1734 N Street was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1991.
Tours of Headquarters may be scheduled through the Womenís History and Resource Center by e-mail or phone at 202/347-3168 ext. 137. Tours last one to two hours (depending upon the number of visitors) and include visits to and historical information about the newly-restored 1734 entryway; the historic Julia Ward Howe Drawing Room; the Alice Ames Winter Dining Room; the music room; the GFWC International Presidentís office; the WHRC archives and research library; and new and updated exhibits of GFWCís extensive art and artifact collections.
Exhibits include panoramic photographs, pins and badges, gavels, artwork from state federations, and valuable color woodblock prints by the artists Helen Hyde and Gustave Baumann.
In addition, a photo gallery is planned to display winning entries from the GFWC Creative Arts Program Department contests.
Interested in training to become a GFWC Headquarters volunteer docent? Please contact the WHRC.
You may also help preserve 1734 N Street, NW, and the GFWC collections by joining the 1734 Society and the Friends of the WHRC.