This Place Matters to the Woman's Club of Glyndon
The Woman’s Club of Glyndon is proud to have owned and maintained this building since 1932. The building serves not only as our clubhouse, but it is an important structure in the community’s history. Approaching the Victorian village of Glyndon from the east, at the crest of the hill sits this historic structure that was once Glyndon School.
In 1887, the red brick building was constructed on Dover Road (now Butler Road) in Glyndon, Maryland, by local builder John Marshall, as authorized by the Baltimore County School Board. The two room schoolhouse, known as Glyndon School, featured a center hall, one classroom for grades 1 and 2, and another for grades 3 through 6. Students were called to school and to recess by the ringing of the bell in the bell tower. This architectural feature remains today and the bell is rung at noon on Woman’s Club of Glyndon meeting days.
By 1920, through the efforts of an active PTA, indoor lavatories were housed in an addition to the west of the front entrance. The school remained in use until 1930, when Baltimore County school districts were consolidated and Glyndon children were sent to Franklin Elementary School in neighboring Reisterstown.
On December 1, 1932, the building was offered at auction. The Woman’s Club of Glyndon submitted the winning bid of $1,620. Following the purchase, G. Walter Tovell, Inc. of Baltimore did extensive interior remodeling, including removal of partitions and blackboards, laying Georgia pine flooring, erecting a fireplace, building a kitchen addition to the east of the entrance to match the addition on the west, and creating a stairway to the basement. Thus, with an expenditure of $2,600, the Glyndon School was transformed into a clubhouse for the Woman’s Club of Glyndon. The formal dedication took place on June 2, 1933. The only major alteration to the exterior of the building occurred after the State Roads Department lowered and widened the roadway in 1949. As a result, the doorway was recessed and the brick entrance stairs and retaining walls were built.
In 1934, the club president advised members that “we should consider our beautiful new clubhouse not a mere adornment for ourselves, but as carrying a real responsibility to use it for the good of the community with a definite standard of hospitality and public spirit.” To this end, over the years the building has been the site of innumerable community events, meetings and religious services; has been designated as a civil defense air raid shelter; and has hosted Red Cross training for canteen workers in its kitchen. In 1973, it was one of the nine local buildings that enabled Glyndon to be listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This Place Matters to the members of the club and to the community. The Woman’s Club of Glyndon strives to continue to meet the challenge of the preservation and conscientious stewardship of the former Glyndon School.
—Kathy Shay, President, Woman's Club of Glyndon