What is ACT in OCT?
ACT in OCT is GFWC's annual membership recruiting event, where dedicated clubwomen roll out the red carpet to invite and excite potential new members in October!
In 2003, GFWC initiated its first nationwide membership recruiting campaign, ACT in OCT, encouraging all GFWC clubs to organize recruiting ACTivities to help attract diverse, energetic, and dedicated new members. Gaining new members is vital to continuing each club’s projects, and new members bring new ideas and talents to assist clubs in their volunteer activities.
To help publicize GFWC’s club projects and reach out to potential members to demonstrate the benefits of belonging to GFWC, we highlight membership recruitment in OCTober.
- Club officers or membership committees can spend the summer planning and organizing exciting ACTivities for recruitment. Effective membership outreach takes knowledge of past outreach and a vision for new member recruiting. Working over the summer to create new ideas is a good way to make each OCTober recruiting period unique.
- Clubs can use the first few meetings of the new club year to publicize their ACT in OCT events and generate energy among members, who are encouraged to bring guests to the OCTober events.
- New members who join GFWC clubs in OCTober can begin participating immediately.
- OCTober is Junior month – need we say more? Focusing on the fresh ideas and enthusiasm that new members can stimulate can help a successful club achieve even more!
- There are many health, advocacy, and fun awareness ACTivities designated in OCTober. These provide excellent themes for substantive, relevant, and interesting events that highlight GFWC’s ACTivities in a variety of areas. OCTober is: Health Literacy Month, National Book Month, National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, National Domestic Violence Awareness Month, National Reading Group Month, Talk About Prescriptions Month, Positive Attitude Month, and National Cookie Month
Every club that meets or exceeds the annual recruiting goal as the result of an ACTivity in OCTober and reports their success to GFWC Headquarters before December 1 will be recognized in a winter issue of GFWC Clubwoman Magazine.