Thank you for your interest in working for the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, a workplace which values people of diverse backgrounds. GFWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
JOB TITLE: Communications Director
CLASSIFICATION: Exempt, Full-time
DEPARTMENT IN GFWC: Communications & Public Relations
REPORTS TO: Chief of Operations
The Communications Director will be responsible for developing effective and consistent messaging and communications strategies for GFWC. This individual will manage editorial content for all GFWC publications such as GFWC’s Clubwoman Magazine, newsletters, www.GFWC.org, and GFWC’s social media accounts. This position works with the Chief of Operations and the GFWC Executive Committee to enhance the brand, engage the membership, and share information regarding the organization’s programs, activities, and accomplishments.
In addition to the list of responsibilities below, the Communications Director will perform additional duties that are consistent with the general area of responsibilities of this position.
- In cooperation with GFWC leadership and the COO, create and implement a cohesive communications strategy and oversee the organization’s day-to-day external and internal communications.
- Source opportunities and forge relationships with media to promote GFWC with thought leaders, strategic partners, and the general public. Encourage GFWC clubs to develop relationships with their local media.
- Expand social media accounts into robust messaging platforms while growing engagement rates. Identify new platforms to build and introduce to the organization’s social media portfolio as needed.
- Manage production of and contribute content to GFWC’s quarterly digital magazine, including content organization, vendor and contributor management, and editing.
- Serve as staff liaison with contracted web development company and oversee all aspects of www.GFWC.org including content management, publishing, user experience, traffic growth, and infrastructure support.
- Create and modify, as needed, GFWC’s consolidated communications calendar to highlight priorities, focus messaging, and address areas of concern to support GFWC’s communications strategy.
- Maintain GFWC brand throughout the organization and externally through consistent messaging, visuals, and stylistic guidelines.
- Oversee production of the GFWC Annual Convention Program and development of Convention presentation materials in coordination with meetings and communications staff.
- Coordinate work with Publications Program Manager and related GFWC staff.
- Serve as liaison to GFWC Chairmen for all concerns related to their programs and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, or related fields.
- Three to five years’ experience working in non-profit communications and/or public relations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and a commitment to customer service.
- Attention to accuracy and detail in all aspects of responsibilities; excellent organizational and project management skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite; familiarity with project management software a plus.
- Grant writing experience desired.
- Non-profit experience and knowledge of U.S. women’s history a plus.
Submit cover letter and resume via email with “Communications Director” in the subject line to Cheri Meyer, Chief of Operations, c/o Anna Barcus, Executive and Financial Coordinator.
GFWC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $60,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of others through volunteer service. GFWC Headquarters is a National Historic Landmark located at 1734 N Street, NW in Washington D.C. Headquarters serves as the working offices for the GFWC International President and staff.