GFWC Leadership Education and Development Seminar (LEADS)
The GFWC Leadership Education and Development (LEADS) Seminar program is intended to identify GFWC members at the grassroots level who have the potential and the desire to assume leadership positions in GFWC beyond their club. Participation in LEADS can help these members gain the capabilities, confidence, and commitment necessary to pursue and achieve higher office and serve with distinction. The LEADS program is held annually the day before the official opening of the GFWC Annual Convention. It is a full day of activities, and includes breakfast and lunch.
Application and Selection Process
Each State Federation and International Affiliate may select one LEADS attendee annually.
LEADS Candidate: Return the LEADS application form, along with two letters of support from active GFWC club members, to your State Federation by the state application deadline. If your state has a form, use that instead. The LEADS application form is available in the GFWC Member Portal in the LEADS Application and Information subfolder under L in the Digital Library.
State or International Affiliate Leadership Chairman or President: Your chosen LEADS Candidate’s application form and photo is due to GFWC Second Vice President Jolie Frankfurth (email@example.com) and GFWC Leadership Chairman Susan Gettys (firstname.lastname@example.org) by March 15, 2023.
State and District LEADS Program
States and Districts are encouraged to hold a LEADS program to identify and develop strong potential leaders prepared to assume club, District, and State Federation leadership positions. By implementing a well-designed LEADS event, the leadership gap of some experience will be addressed, and the talent and enthusiasm of a trained, confident group of volunteers will be more effectively used. The individual member, as well as GFWC and local communities, will benefit. The leadership can determine when the State Federation or District LEADS program is best conducted. The GFWC Leadership Committee can assist State and District leaders in creating half- and full-day events using materials available in the toolkit. States may choose to select one participant from their own LEADS program to attend GFWC LEADS.
Criteria for LEADS Participation
It is highly recommended that each State Federation or International Affiliate LEADS candidate meet the following criteria:
- Demonstrates leadership capabilities at the club level as an active club president, club officer, or club project or committee chairman.
- Exhibits a commitment to the Federation.
- Exhibits an understanding of the GFWC mission of community service, illustrated by programs and projects in which she is or has been involved.
- Demonstrates leadership characteristics, including, but not limited to, organization, responsibility, trustworthiness, enthusiasm, and flexibility.
- Exhibits an interest in and willingness to pursue higher leadership positions in GFWC.
- Agrees to share information gained from participation in LEADS with others in the State Federation.
- Understands and accepts potential expenses involved in participation.
- Has not held elected positions at or beyond the state level (this criterion is highly recommended, but not required, in order to encourage potential leaders at the club level to apply).
- Has not attended a previous LEADS program. Members are eligible to attend only once.
- Agrees to make every effort to attend the Fall GFWC Region Conference to report on their LEADS experience.
- Must be a member of a per capita dues paying club, or a delegate of an International Affiliate as noted in the Expenses section below.
GFWC demonstrates its commitment to training leaders by funding a portion of the expenses of candidates who are members of per capita dues paying clubs. State Federations may consider underwriting a portion of an attendee’s expenses. LEADS candidates are asked to be responsible for a portion of their expenses as an affirmation of their personal commitment to the leadership development and training. LEADS participants are responsible for making their own travel and lodging arrangements.
State Federation Attendees:
- Transportation and lodging stipend of $325.00.
- Lunch during the LEADS program (no registration fee is required).
Checks will be distributed to candidates upon completion of the seminar.
One attendee from each International Affiliate is welcome to apply and participate in LEADS at a cost of $60.00, the GFWC stipend for travel and lodging allowance do not apply.
Incoming Leaders Training Seminar (ILTS)
Leaders and potential leaders receive training from GFWC at many levels of the Federation. A firm foundation of skills and knowledge enables competent and committed leaders to move GFWC purposefully into the future.
ILTS is focused on introducing incoming Region Presidents, State Presidents, and State Directors of Junior Clubs to the resources available to them from GFWC. The seminar includes introductory information about GFWC programs, partners, and materials; Board of Directors calendar and responsibilities; departmental resources and areas of staff expertise; helpful information on subjects useful to planning and organizing an administration at the region and state level; and the opportunity to meet and interact with others assuming the same role in the next administration.