GFWC Morgan Park Junior Woman’s Club
Founded in 1934, the GFWC Morgan Park Junior Woman’s Club is one of only three GFWC clubs remaining in the city of Chicago. The club is perhaps best known for its Work Out to Wipe Out Domestic Violence Benefit Day, which raised over $10,000 last year.
Held annually since March 2012, The Work Out to Wipe Out Domestic Violence Benefit Day aims to promote community-wide awareness of domestic violence issues and its effect on family members; to acknowledge and show solidarity with victims of domestic violence; and to raise funds to benefit A New Direction, a local counseling and advocacy agency serving victims of domestic violence. The club works with local businesses to provide fitness activities for community members for a $25.00 donation. Members hope this event will help break the silence surrounding domestic violence and end the cycle of abuse. Last year’s event was featured on
In addition to the Work Out to Wipe Out Domestic Violence Benefit, the club’s 50 members share GFWC’s message of Living the Volunteer Spirit by supporting a number of local organizations. From raising money at their fall garage sale to benefit the Morgan Park Food Pantry to collecting books for the military through Operation Paperback, members are dedicated to improving their community.
“By working together, we can make a difference in our small corner of the world,” said Club President Donna Dalton.
If there is time in the day to lend a helping hand, Irene Iverson will do it. A member of two GFWC clubs and recent honoree of the One OC Spirit of Volunteerism Award for 2014, Irene has been an active leader in her community since she joined the Red Cross as a volunteer at 15.
Success For Survivors Scholarship
Each year, GFWC awards scholarships to help intimate partner abuse survivors obtain a post-secondary education that offers a chance to reshape their future by securing employment and gaining personal independence.
The Rochester Junior Women's Club
The Rochester Junior Women’s Club (Michigan) was established in 1956 with 16 members, and today has over 70 members that always come together to support one another. The club chooses three or four major charities to support and several smaller ones, donating approximately $30,000 each year. In total since its inception, the club has provided more than 1 million hours of community service, and raised more than $928,000 to support their community!