Since 1944, Heifer International has provided gifts of livestock and environmentally sound agricultural training to families in need around the world as a means to develop self-sufficiency. We work with farmers, mostly women, who are required to pass on the equivalent of the gift they received to another family in need. Whether they pass on the offspring of an animal or another resource, Passing on the Gift is a chain reaction that multiplies successes so that, eventually, entire communities thrive.
Heifer’s Tanzania School Milk Project is a special focus for GFWC. Through this project, students in the southern highlands of Tanzania receive nutritious, packaged milk – empowering them to focus on learning instead of hunger. No amount is too small: Every $2 your clubwomen raise = a week of milk for a student in Tanzania. Your gift of $72 provides a delicious daily serving of milk for one student for an entire school year.
GFWC members can engage with Heifer International in the following ways:
- Start by visiting www.heifer.org/gfwc Here you can find key information about the Tanzania School Milk Project, as well as downloadable resources for use at a club meeting. To make a donation to this project you may do so directly online on the GFWC page: heifer.org/gfwc. or include this Reference Code: #GFWC184MILK01 with your donation, on the memo line of checks or mention it when calling Heifer. Mail checks to 1 World Avenue, Little Rock, AR 72202.
- Give a gift that keeps on giving by donating to provide livestock to families. When mailing your donation please include a note with your livestock choice and also note this on the check memo line. If you would prefer to donate online please go to the Heifer website ( heifer.org) and the homepage provides the opportunity to make a donation. Please note: The Heifer page dedicated to GFWC provides the opportunity to donate to the Tanzania Milk Project, not for livestock. The Heifer website homepage provides the opportunity to donate and purchase livestock.
- Present living (and giving!) tributes. Animals in honor of a loved one make a great gift at any time of the year! A hive of bees for your busiest friend, an alpaca for your sister who knits…
- Request a volunteer speaker. Where available, Heifer-trained speakers can speak to your Region, state, district, or club. Please email email@example.com with your request.
- Give gifts that give back! Visit Heifer’s Marketplace to find unique gifts for any occasion and make a big impact. Our marketplace helps grow small businesses for farmers and artisans. Visit www.heifer.org/gfwc and scroll down to “Shop For Good.”
- Sponsor a Local Read to Feed Program. Read to Feed is Heifer International’s unique reading incentive program. Students enlist sponsors to pledge a donation for each book read or hour spent reading. At the end of the program, the students pool all the funds raised from reading to donate to Heifer International. Your club can help a child make a difference by sponsoring a local school Read to Feed program!
Preshus Howard is about to celebrate her 10th anniversary as a clubwoman, and her time with GFWC has been a journey of discovering her own strengths and how she can use them to help others. As GFWC Kentucky’s Director of Junior Clubs for the 2016-2018 Administration, Preshus has been proud to use her position to rally clubwomen around causes that matter to her.
Success For Survivors Scholarship
Each year, GFWC awards scholarships to help intimate partner abuse survivors obtain a post-secondary education that offers a chance to reshape their future by securing employment and gaining personal independence.
GFWC Morgan Park Junior Woman’s Club
Founded in 1934, the GFWC Morgan Park Junior Woman’s Club is perhaps best known for its Work Out to Wipe Out Domestic Violence Benefit Day, which raised over $10,000 last year.