Epsilon Sigma Omicron
Epsilon Sigma Omicron (ESO) is an honorary educational society open to all per-capita paying GFWC federated club members. Over 60 years ago, the ESO program became a permanent part of the GFWC Education Department. Through ESO, clubwomen are given direction in planned reading for self-enrichment and personal growth. Many GFWC clubwomen have profited from this unique self-improvement program, seen as vital by the members it directly benefits.
ESO provides clubwomen with a structured reading program that is educational and stimulates a desire for self-improvement. ESO goals include:
- Encouraging clubwomen’s pursuit of higher education
- Creating an additional means to unite women in volunteerism
- Developing a support network for women returning to school
- Improving current and develop new study skills
- Stimulating systematic home reading and study with minimal supervision
- Encouraging the establishment of home libraries and greater use of public libraries
- Encouraging the formation of reading/study/discussion groups
Members can participate in ESO as part of a reading group or on their own. The program provides membership, awards and certificates, pins, reading lists, and a framework in which to pursue continued self-improvement through reading. Many clubs combine club programming with ESO related activities, such as reading awareness and book promotion.
Success For Survivors Scholarship
Each year, GFWC awards scholarships to help intimate partner abuse survivors obtain a post-secondary education that offers a chance to reshape their future by securing employment and gaining personal independence.
GFWC Lawrence Classics Club
The GFWC Lawrence Classics Club (Kansas) has 19 members, and it’s an incredible mixture: one charter member has been involved since 1997; one member has been part of GFWC since 1960; there are a mother and daughter pair who are 2nd and 3rd generation clubwomen; four members are Boosters; and their youngest member only graduated from college last year. This assorted group shares the same values about volunteerism and puts them into action.